Thursday, October 4, 2007

Where does my food come from?

One Day Worth of Food:

Breakfast:
Eggs
Sausage
Potatoes
Pineapple
Water

Snack:
Pop Tarts
Powerbar

Lunch:
Turkey Sandwich
Celery Sticks
Peaches
Water

Dinner:
Hamburger
Nachos
Dinner salad
Water
Cranberry Juice

This List of food consumption for one day is a pretty basic day for me. I like to get some protein in me at breakfast so that I can be somewhat functional for the day. The eggs, sausage and potatoes provide quite a bit of it. I’m a big fan of fruit also, so anytime I can eat fresh fruit I take advantage of it. The snacks throughout the day are basically just a power boost right before basketball practice, so that I have some energy. So for my lunch I try to keep it healthy, with a sandwich and some fruit and vegetables. Dinner is my time to kind of let go, and eat some better food that isn’t as healthy.
As far as answering the question of where does my food come from, I sadly eat at the cafeteria on campus. The food is not the best, but it is edible. I looked at the dining website and was able to learn that the food is catered by NANA Corp. a native corporation here in Alaska. Obviously most of these food items are not found in Alaska, so they must be flown or shipped into the state. By looking at the food that I ate, I would say that most of the food is processed in the lower 48, frozen, and then shipped up here to Fairbanks in mass bulk. You have to remember that the dining hall serves thousands of UAF students each day.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Absolutely! However, do you think it's impossible for the state of Alaska to feed thousands of people a day without shipping food?

Do you think that there is anywhere in the world where thousands of people can be fed easily without shipping food?

You can email me your response.